Please use this checklist as a guide to completing the required elements. All items must be checked off before you can attend a BLS instructor course.
1. You must be affiliated with an AHA training center. You may contact area training centers (Americanheart.org) to see if they will take you on as a new Instructor. Their role will be to monitor you teaching a CPR course and then issue your instructor card. If you wish to affiliate with Lawson TEC, please contact us to be sure that we have room for new instructors. You will need to come into our office and show us your skills before we can sign your instructor course application.
2. Instructor Course Application
3. $400.00 Payment, per Credit Card, Cash or Check (a Spot Cannot Be Guaranteed without Payment)
4. For BLS Provider Instructors, a Current BLS Provider Card
5. For Heartsaver Instructors, a Current Heartsaver First-Aid with CPR AED for Adults, Children, Infants Card
6. Candidate Orders Instructor Manuals; Must Have Them for the Course
7. Take the online BLS or Hesartsaver Essentials
course ($30.00) and bring the certificate to the Instructor course
8. BLS Provider Instructor
Manual (#15-1009 $36.25)
9. Heartsaver Instructor
Manual (#15-1023) (If You Will Be Teaching Heartsaver Courses, including First-Aid, to Non-Medical People) $49.00
10. Skills Checked off - Participants are assumed to have mastered the cognitive subject matter and skills needed to teach CPR and first-aid. Class time will be spent on information needed by the Instructor candidate to successfully teach American Heart Association CPR courses. Therefore, we ask that you make an appointment with us to have your skills checked off before the Instructor course. Skills check off will take about 30 minutes. Time will be taken during the Instructor course to ensure your skills are in accordance with the American Heart Association standards.
Group Instructor Courses
LAWSON TEC also provides group instructor courses. If a group of at least four people (but no more than six) wish to take an instructor course, we can provide the course for you on a mutually determined date.
LAWSON TEC only takes four to six people in an instructor course. If you sign up for the instructor course, you can cancel up until two weeks before the class.
If you cancel less than two weeks before the course, you have to pay for another instructor course. Our Herndon, Virginia, training center does not offer refunds if you cancel your spot less than two weeks before the scheduled instructor course.
Distributors of AHA Materials
Here are the three distributors who provide AHA materials. You can purchase your instructor manuals from one of them.
• Worldpoint: ECC 1-888-322-8350 (Eworldpoint.com)
• Laerdal: 1-888-562-4242 (Laerdal.com)
• Channing Bete: 1-800-611-6083 (aha.channing-bete.com)